VPN (Virtual Private Network) — is a protocol that creates a secure connection between a user and a virtual network, which facilitates future access to limited Internet resources, and protects the user from insecure transmission of traffic in public networks.
A private network is a connection on a network with some restrictions on the protected environment, the type of network can be configured so that devices that are not on that network will not be able to access it.
Types of VPNs
Remote Access VPN - A user connects remotely to a network, and thus is able to interact with data and work remotely. Any traffic, both outgoing and incoming, is encrypted.
Site-To-Site VPN also known as "point-to-point" - Designed to connect an organization's networks. It connects two honest networks. A common type of connection when configuring a network for an enterprise.
A VPN hides your unique IP address, thereby allowing it to be redirected through a server that is managed by a VPN host. So, if you connect through the VPN, the VPN server gives you another IP address and becomes your "primary" IP address for the duration of its operation. It turns out that your provider can't control what sites you visit or data you send.
Using a VPN
- Keeping your information and location private from intruders (on public WiFi networks)
- With VPN you can get content that is not available in some countries (like Netflix, etc.)
- Connect two private networks for the company, thus simplifying the interaction between employees
Benefits of VPN
- It is first and foremost data protection.
- Privacy in public networks.
- Hides your IP address.
- Prevents bandwidth restriction based on certain actions.
- Protection against DDoS attacks.
Disadvantages of VPNs.
- Reduces the speed of your internet.
- VPN doesn't give you a 100% guarantee that your data won't leak to various social networks. Free/cheap VPNs are slow, thus they compromise your "anonymity" and can collect your data.
- If you want to be absolutely sure of your "anonymity" you have to pay for a quality VPN.